There are several reasons why you may want to assign multiple versions of a quiz to different groups of students. For example, you may want to increase academic integrity, assign a different quiz to a group of students in a specific time zone, or provide an academic accommodation.
Please note that Quercus Quizzes cannot be assigned to groups, but can be assigned to sections. This guide shows you how to create groups, clone them into sections and assign these specific sections to your quiz.
If you want to incorporate more Academic Integrity strategies in your assessments, see our guide on how to Increase academic integrity.
1. Create Group Set and Groups
- Navigate to People.
- To create a Group Set for your assessment, select "+Group Set".
1.1. Adjust Group Set Settings
- Add a title for your Group Set.
- Select "I'll create groups later" to manually create groups.
1.2. Create Groups and add students
- Add Groups by selecting "+Group".
- Add a group name.
- Save the added Group Name.
- Add students to specific groups.
If you have a large class, then populating groups manually may not work for you. In this case, you may consider importing a CSV with the group information into your group set. For this process, see How do I import groups in a group set?
2. Clone Groups to Sections using UT Advanced Group Tool
Don't see the UT Advanced Group Tool in your course menu? Use this guide to enable it: How to do I modify the menu items on my course navigation menu?
- Navigate to "UT Advanced Group Tool".
- Select "Clone Groups into Sections".
2.1. Select Groups to clone to Sections
- Select name of Group Set that you created in Step 1.
- Select the specific groups to clone or choose "Select All".
- Select "Clone".
2.2. Confirm your cloned sections
- Navigate to "Settings".
- Select "Sections" (second tab).
- View your newly cloned sections. To view the users in the sections, select the name of the section.
3. Create your Quiz and assign it to sections
- Navigate to Quizzes.
- Create a new quiz by selecting "+Quiz".
3.1. Add Quiz title, details and questions
- Add a title for your quiz.
- Add your quiz description and details.
- Add your quiz questions. For more details on the types of questions you can add, see How do I create a quiz with individual questions?
It is not recommended to add your questions via PDF in the description of the quiz. Please view this guide to securely share PDF files in your quiz: How do I securely share files in Quizzes and Assignments?
3.2. Assign quiz to newly cloned section
- Remove "Everyone" by selecting the X, and add the newly cloned section from the list or start typing in the name of the section.
- Add the details of when the quiz is due, available from and until. For an explanation on these dates, see What is the difference between assignment due dates and availability dates?
3.3. Save your quiz settings
- If your quiz is ready to be published for students, select "Save & Publish".
- If your quiz is not ready to be released to students and you would like to continue editing it, select "Save".
4. For other versions of the quiz, repeat Steps 2 and 3
For other versions of the quiz, repeat steps 2 and 3 to create a quiz and assign a specific section to it.