How to time release assessments (using module requirements)
Have you created two separate Quercus quizzes or assignments (or a combination of quiz and assignment) as part of a 2-part assessment (for a Mid Term, for example)? Do you also want to manage the release of the two parts of the assessment so that students must complete the first one before moving on to the second one?
This guide provides step-by-step instructions for using module requirements to manage the sequential release of two assessments. For more detailed information on module requirements, please refer to Canvas Guide: How do I add requirements to a module?
Before you begin
Before proceeding with the steps in this guide, it's best to create the assessments you will be using in their respective areas in Quercus (i.e., Quizzes, Assignments). We will be using a module to structure these existing assessments, not to create them.
Note: Although our examples in this guide focus on quizzes, the same approach can be used with other combinations of graded assessments in Quercus (e.g., where Part 1 of the assessment is a Quiz and Part 2 is an Assignment).
How to manage the sequential release of assessments by using module requirements
1. Add a module for your assessments
- Add a new module in your course, following the instructions on the Canvas guide: How do I add a module?
- Name your module accordingly (e.g., Mid Term)
2. Add the assessments to the module
The items must appear in the module in the order you want the students to complete them.
- Add your assessments to the module, following the instructions on the Canvas guide: How do I add course content as a module item?
- Ensure that the assessments appear in the module in the order you want the students to complete them.
3. Add module requirements
- Select Edit from the Module settings (3 vertical dots, top right of module).
- Select + Add Requirement to add your first quiz to the list of requirements and repeat to add your second quiz.
- For each quiz, ensure that the requirement is set to Submit the assignment.
- Select the option Students must complete all of these requirements.
- Important: Ensure the option Students must move through requirements in sequential order is also selected
- Update Module to save your settings.
- Check your requirements on the module page.
- If your students are accessing the assessments from the module: They will only see Part 1 when they navigate to the module. Part 2 will be greyed out and will only open once they submit Part 1.
- If your students are accessing the assessments from the Assignments or Quizzes pages: If your course navigation has Quizzes and/or Assignments enabled for student access, they will also be able to access the assessments from those areas. However, the Module requirements will prevent them from opening Part 2 before they complete Part 1.