How do I disable private chatting during a session?
As of August 31, 2021, UofT will no longer license Bb Collaborate. Please see ACT's termination of Collaborate license memo for more details. We recommend reviewing our guide of currently available webinar tools for alternate options to host synchronous online sessions.
You might select to limit who your students (those with the participant role in the session) can chat with using the built in Bb Collaborate chat feature. Only Moderators can limit who participants can chat with. Moderators can also supervise all private chats.
If a session is being recorded, chat messages in the Everyone channel are also recorded. Private messages and chat messages in breakout groups are not recorded. For more information on how chat messages appear in recordings, see "chat messages in recordings."
This guide details how to:
Modifying this setting must be done BEFORE the session starts.
1. How to modify your default Bb Collaborate Chat Session Settings
- In the Quercus course that contains your session, navigate to Bb Collaborate.
- Expand the options menu by selecting on the button indicated by the three dots.
- Select on the "Edit Settings" option.
2. Review and modify your chat settings
Participants can only chat with moderators: Private chat is available by default. When selected, participants can only chat privately with moderators. If you don't select it, participants can chat privately with any body else in the session.
Moderators supervise all private chats: When selected, moderators can see everything that is said in private chat channels. An alert appears at the top of the private chat channel informing users that the chat is being supervised. If you don't select it, you don't see the private chat channels.
3. To disable private chat, select "Participants can only chat privately with Moderators."
- Select which of the two editable settings make sense for your session. If you are not encouraging students to collaborate specifically for an activity, it is encouraged that you disable private chat (to avoid abuse and distraction during sessions). If you do elect to leave on student-to-student chatting, you are encouraged to select "Moderators supervise all private chats."
- Select "Save" button: To save your changes, confirm your actions by selecting the save button.
If a session is being recorded, chat messages in the Everyone channel are being recorded as well. Private messages and chat messages in breakout groups are not recorded. For more information on how chat messages appear in recordings, see "chat messages in recordings."