You cannot obtain student emails from Canvas/Quercus out of the box. In order to do so, you need to use the U of T in-house developed tool, UT Advanced Group Tool. This tool provides extended functionality for grouping that integrates with functionality currently existing in Canvas/Quercus.
In order to obtain email address of your students within Quercus, the UT Advanced Group tool can be used. The UT Advanced Group Tool is available for all Quercus courses.
This guide provides instructions on how to:
- How to Activate UT Advanced Group Tool in Course Navigation (this must be done before you can access the tool; it only needs to be done once per course)
- How to Export Group (Course) Roster
- Example Course Roster Download File (including fields included in the file)
Before you begin, the UT Advanced Group Tool requires activation. For general instruction on how to manage your course menu items, visit the guide, "How do I manage Course Navigation links?"
Activate UT Advanced Group Tool in Course Navigation
- In your Course Navigation Menu, click Settings.
- From the tabs at the top, click Navigation.
- UT Advanced Group Tool is currently in the hidden navigation items. Click on the 3 dots to and choose Enable. Place it where you would like it to to appear in the course menu.
- Click Save at the bottom.
- Once you have saved your selection, you should see it in your Course Navigation.
Export Group Roster
- Select the UT Advanced Group Tool option from your course menu.
- Once in the tool, select the Export Group Roster option.
Select button "Click here to download the entire course roster."
- Use the button to download a copy of the entire course roster (students only - those with non-student roles are NOT included in the export file).
- For this purpose, use of the "export" button is NOT required.
Example Course Roster Download
Data included on the course roster is:
- Student (Family and Given Names in one column)
- Canvas ID
- SIS User ID (UTORid)
- First Name
- Last Name