As of August 31, 2021, UofT will no longer license Bb Collaborate. Please see ACT's termination of Collaborate license memo for more details. We recommend reviewing our guide of currently available webinar tools for alternate options to host synchronous online sessions.
A common comment is webinar sessions is "Can you hear me?" and a lot of the time, the response is, "no." This guide will instruct you on how to do a quick visual check and how to select your video and audio inputs from the settings option.
There have been reported issues with sharing audio and video while using Microsoft Edge. Please use Chrome or Firefox for more consistent connectivity.
To check that your inputs are enabled and working:
1. Check the current status of your inputs
You can do a quick visual check to see if your microphone and video are turned on or off.
- In this example, both the audio and video inputs are turned off/disabled. Students cannot hear your audio or see your video.
- In this example, both the audio and video inputs are turned on/enabled.
You can choose to enable one or the other, or both. Many times, people just use their microphone and not their video. This is especially recommended for those who have a low bandwidth Internet connection to the session.
2. Find your audio and video settings (via the "Open Collaborate panel")
- First, make sure your panel is expanded: If your "Open Collaborate panel" is minimized, it will be indicated by the purple button with white arrows. If you see purple with a white X, you can skip this step.
- Navigate to the "My Settings" tab
- Select on "Set up your camera and microphone."
3. Test your Audio Settings
- This Audio Indicator will indicate if your microphone is working correctly by showing your fluctuating audio levels.
- Choose which microphone input you are using. The "Internal Microphone" may be your default option.
- Choose this option if you require more audio troubleshooting assistance. *Quick tip: If you cannot hear your audio, you may need to either give your browser media permissions or try a different browser.
- Choose this option if your microphone is working and you would like to test your video in the next step.
4. Test your Video Settings
- This Video Indicator is a reflection of what your students will see when you share your video.
- Select the video input you are using.
- Choose this option if you require more video troubleshooting assistance. *Quick tip: If you cannot see your video, you may need to either give your browser media permissions or try a different browser.
- Choose this option if your video is working and you are ready to join the webinar.