As of August 31, 2021, UofT will no longer license Bb Collaborate. Please see ACT's termination of Collaborate license memo for more details. We recommend reviewing our guide of currently available webinar tools for alternate options to host synchronous online sessions.
This set of instructions deals specifically with creating a scheduled session (rather than using the open, permanent course room).
Blackboard Collaborate is not automatically part of your Course menu. You have to manually add it. If you haven't already added Collaborate to your course menu, follow How to Add Collaborate to your Course Menu before beginning this tutorial.
To create a Bb Collaborate scheduled session:
How do I choose between the Course Room and a Scheduled Session?
You'll likely use both types of rooms, but for different purposes.
- Course Room - A default room provided for your course is an open Collaborate session dedicated to your course and lasts as long as the duration of your course. Default settings can be modified so that users enter the session with a role the Instructor chooses. Using this room can be easier than scheduled session because people become familiar with where to go (there is one URL for the whole term).
- Scheduled Session - This room allows Instructors and Teaching Assistants to plan ahead for a room. This works especially well for online office hours. Scheduled sessions will appear in list form, below your Course Room. Using scheduled sessions works especially well with special or one-off events with guests (where you share out the URL for each session).
2. Specify your Event Details (in Create Session).
Set up your Event Details, which are details surrounding your scheduled session:
- Name your Session - This is important, especially in large classes. You might break the students into groups, and each group has their own session. Be as specific as you can with the title of the session to ensure that learners can find their session.
- Start and End Time - Select the date details for your session.
- Open Session - This creates an open-ended session that ends when the moderator chooses.
- Repeat Session - If this session is regular, you can create multiple occurrences at one time. This is handy for weekly office hours.
- Early Session Entry - You'll want to provide a few minutes leeway to allow students to enter the room, and acclimate to the webinar and available tools.
- Description - This area allows you to add more written information about the session.
- Cancel and Save - These buttons allow you to cancel or save your event details.
3. Specify your Session Settings (in Create Session).
Set up your Session Settings (below Event Details), which are details about how Participants will interact with your session:
- Default Attendee Role - This allows the Moderator to choose what role a participant will receive once entering the session.
- Recording - Instructors can choose if they would like participants to download recordings, or anonymize chat messages so Participant names do not show in the recording.
- Moderator Permissions - Moderators can choose to display only profile pictures for all moderators.
- Participants Settings - Moderators can choose if participants can share their audio, video, chat or use the whiteboard or access shared files. TIP: Turn OFF access to whiteboard for participants until it is needed for an activity.
- Enable session telephony - This option allows participants to attend the webinar through a phone line. TIP: The phone number provided is not toll-free, and may incur long distance charges.
- Private Chat - These options allow moderators to choose if participants can chat privately with them, or to moderate any private chats.
- Cancel and Save - These buttons allow you to cancel or save your session settings.
Avoid unexpected long distance charges! It is highly recommended that you disable "Allow attendees to join the session using a telephone" as long distance charges will occur. If you select to leave this one, please warn your class that this is possible.
4. Confirm your Scheduled Session.
- Once you have created your session, you will see it listed under your sessions with the Start and End details.
5. Edit Session Options or Delete Session.
Once you have created your session, you have the ability to edit its details or delete it altogether. There are two ways to edit your session:
- Select the session you created and the Event Details and Session Settings will appear on the side panel.
- Alternatively, to edit your session, select the Session Options button, choose "Edit Settings", and the same Event Details and Session Settings will appear on the side panel. After editing, be sure to click the "Save" button in the bottom right-hand corner to confirm your changes.
3. To Delete your Session, under the "Session Options" button, choose "Delete session".
Congrats! You've scheduled a session!
To invite participants who do not have UTORids to your webinar, please visit How to Invite Participants to your Session.